Monday, July 18, 2011

Is www1 a scam web domain?

I received a fraudulant virus alert yesterday from this URL: "www1.netcheck4u.co.cc"--does "www1" automatically signify a scam? This so-called alert said my computer was infected; it had flashing red alerts showing "9 viruses found" in documents; "7 viruses found" somewhere else & showed a small scrolling window with several "trojans" & others--in order to "remove" then--you had to download a scanning program (more like a "scamming" program)--fortunately I didn't do what it "recommended"--I went right to the Microsoft site & used one of their scans which detected "0" viruses! This "alert" popped up when I innocently clicked on an image I found from the Hubble telescope to see the article that went with it. So--does "www1" automatically indicate a scam?

No comments:

Post a Comment