Saturday, July 16, 2011

How can I get my pell grant back after being denied?!?

I just got my fin aid letter from my school (I am a senior), and it shows that I am not getting a pell grant, which means I will also not get my smart grant! I also lost the Rober Byrd Scholarship as the funding was cut. My brother graduated college, and it looks like my parents earned a little more money last year, and I'm guessing that's the reason, but I haven't been notified why by the fed govt. Both of my parents work (my mom's is stable, my dad's is on and off), and both work at second part time jobs. I work during the school year, and am having a hard time finding any kind of job this summer. I live in a distressed area in Ohio, and go to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. The only reason I was able to attend there is because I got scholarships, grants, and loans which barely cover my costs. I have been so grateful for that! This year my dad took on a part time job delivering court summons to help pay his debts, and the expenses from this job (especially gasoline) made the job not worth it, as he found out at the end of the year. My parents are paying their way out of a bankruptcy, and will be done with that in January. They have no equity at all in our home, and are underwater on the mortgage. They do not want to default on the mortgage (it is a small very modest house), and are really really struggling to meet expenses. They have student loans for their three children, and are not in default on those. Is there anything I can do to talk to someone in the federal government about this? I don't know how to contact anyone about this. I am terrified that I won't be able to complete my senior year. My parents are beside themselves as well. We know none of us can get a loan for $19,000. If you know what I should do, please help!

No comments:

Post a Comment